Where We Stand
We strongly believe that the very best way to get a feel for a college and determine whether it is a good fit for you is to visit the campus and talk with members of the community.
Nonetheless, we recognize that many people consider national college rankings a helpful piece of the puzzle when they are evaluating colleges and universities. For many decades, Union has consistently been ranked among the top 50 liberal arts colleges in the nation by U.S. News & World Report in its annual "Best Colleges" list. Below is our standing in that ranking and others:
- #41: Best National Liberal Arts Colleges (U.S. News & World Report, 2013 edition). Colleges are rated on a variety of categories ranging from academic reputation to selectivity of admissions to financial resources and alumni giving.
- #29: America's Best Colleges (Forbes, August 2011). Colleges and universities are rated according to the quality of the education, the experience of the students and the success of their graduates.
- #9: Top-paying liberal arts schools in the country (Payscale 2011-12 College Salary Report; covered by the Huffington Post)
- #55: Best Values in Private Colleges for 2011-12 (Kiplinger's Personal Finances).
- 4.5 stars out of 5: Campus climates with LGBTQ-friendly programs, policies and practices (Campus Climate Index study conducted by Campus Pride in 2010-11). Schools were evaluated on such factors as LGBTQ-friendly policies, LGBTQ support and institutional commitment, and a welcoming environment for LGBTQ students in the areas of student life, academic life, safety, housing/residential life, counseling/health resources and recruitment/retention.
- Among the 286 colleges in the nation with the most eco-friendly policies and greatest commitment to sustainability (The Princeton Review's inaugural "Guide to Green Colleges," 2010)
- #7: Top Ten Most Engaging Greek Life Schools ("Parents & Colleges" web resource, 2010). Recognizes those colleges which offer "vibrant Greek life that supports diversity and community service, provides a thriving and responsible social scene and is highly regarded on campus and off."
- And. . . our hometown cities of Albany & Schenectady were ranked #4 in the nation on the Forbes 2012 list of "Best Cities for Jobs," thanks to the thriving technology industry in New York's capital region.
We are understandably proud of our national standing and of the recognition we receive each year from the media and external sources. But to understand what Union is really all about, there's no substitute for an in-person visit. We look forward to meeting you.