Please select that which applies:
- I am new student (includes new Canadian, new international and new transfer students)
- I am a returning student (includes returning Canadian and returning international students)
When completing the application process for the 2013-14 academic year, please note that tax returns (1040, 1040A, 1040EZ Forms) are no longer acceptable forms for verifying your income. There are two options available for families to comply with the tax verification requirements: FAFSA IRS Data Retrieval or submission of your official Tax Return Transcript(s) which are explained in detail below.
Option 1: UTILIZATION OF THE FAFSA IRS DATA RETRIEVAL TOOL (DRT)By selecting this option, you can have your tax data automatically transferred from the IRS into your FAFSA.
Provided you do not make any changes to any of the transferred data elements, you will not be required to submit a copy of your Tax Return Transcript. In keeping with Union's sustainability efforts, we prefer families select this option.
To utilize the DRT, follow the steps below:
- Log back into your completed FAFSA to "make a correction".
- Select the "Financial Information" heading.
- Select either Student or Parent Tax Information and respond to questions that will confirm eligibility to utilize the tool.
- Enter your FAFSA PIN which will provide the necessary link to the IRS website.
- Enter the requested information: Name, SSN, DOB, address & filing status. Make sure that the address you use is the address the IRS has on file. In most cases, this will be the address on your most recent return. If you are unsure, contact your local post office who will be able to provide you with this information.
- After authenticating your identity, your tax information will be populated at which time you can choose to transfer the tax information into your FAFSA.
- Once the information transfers onto the FAFSA, you will have satisfied the federal tax verification requirements provided you do not make any adjustments to the transferred data. Any changes to the data will require our office to collect a copy of your official IRS Tax Return Transcript. (Instructions below.)
Option 2: SUBMISSION OF TAX RETURN TRANSCRIPT(S)
Keep in mind the following when you order your transcript:
- Make sure that you have the taxpayer's social security number. For joint filers, this means the filer whose name is listed first.
- Make sure that the address you use is the address the IRS has on file. In most cases, this will be the address on your most recent return. If you are unsure, contact your local post office who will be able to provide you with this information.
METHODS OF ORDERING:
- Online at www.irs.gov. Under the Tools heading, select "Order a Return or Account Transcript". Follow the steps provided to order your transcript.
- By phone at 1-800-908-9946 (7:00 a.m. - 7:00 p.m.). After entering the taxpayer's social security number and street address, select option "2" to request the Tax Return Transcript. Enter "2012" as the tax year.
- By mail utilizing IRS Form 4506-T. This form is available on the IRS website. When using this option, please note that on line 5 of the form you are given the option to have your transcript mailed to a third party. Please do not have your returns mailed to the Union Financial Aid office. Instead, have them sent to your address and then forward them to our office. Please write the Union student's ID number on all pages of the transcripts.
It will take approximately 5-10 days from the time the IRS received your request for you to receive your transcript(s).