Albany, New York - Posted on: Thursday 10/31/13
- Interviews adult education students to obtain vocational/educational background information to identify preliminary vocational/educational needs and develop a plan of services to meet these needs;
- Conducts a comprehensive educational/vocational assessment, including taking of past history, administering of educational vocational tests, and the evaluation of the adult education students’ capacity to perform;
- Develops with the adult education student a vocational/rehabilitation plan with short and long range goals and provides and/or coordinates those activities which help student achieve the goals;
- Explores opportunities to train adult education students in employability and life coping skills to enable them to become successfully involved in community based vocational and employment activities including job searches,
resume writing and job interviewing skills;
- Develops and maintains contacts with community based educational/vocational employment and support services resources;
- Refers adult education students to appropriate vocational/educational service providers in the community;
- Provides follow-up and post-placement support services to adult education students;
- Keeps and maintains accurate records;
- Maintains contact with BOCES GED & English as a Second Language teachers to ascertain barriers that specific students may be experiencing that prevent them from meeting their educational/vocational goals;
- Researches and assists students in acquiring related supportive services such as one-stop career counseling, transportation, public assistance and child care;
- Prepares a variety of records and reports related to adult education students and program activities and outcomes
EITHER:Graduation from a regionally accredited or New York State registered college or university with a Master's degree in Vocational Rehabilitation or Guidance, Education, or Workforce Education and Career Development; OR, Graduation from a regionally accredited or New York State registered college or university with a Bachelor's degree in
Counseling, Psychology, Sociology or a closely related field and three (3) years of experience in vocational rehabilitation counseling or adult case management.
Vacancies are filled by certified list provided by Albany County Civil Service. Should no certified list be available, candidates appointed to this position will be serving in a provisional appointment in accordance with New York State Civil Service Law. The candidate must successfully complete a competitive examination and be eligible for appointment in accordance with Civil Service Law and the Civil Service Rules for Albany County to obtain a permanent appointment.